Friday, June 12, 2009

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot DIaz

The first time I read the summary on the back of this book, I remember thinking, "I seriously doubt I will really like this book, but it seems interesting, so I'll give it a try." You, upon googling this book or perhaps picking it up in the bookstore may have a similar reaction. Let me just tell you that I loved this book and think you would too! 

The story revolves around a Dominican family (now living in Jersey) and "fuku," a myth-curse that haunts the family through the generations. Everything about this story was intriguing and entertaining: the plot, the characters, and the wonderful footnotes/history about the Dominican Republic. The best thing of all was the prose; it was edgy, original, and although it was more vulgar than what I would normally care for, it served a purpose. Your heart will ache for the characters and you won't want to put it down. This is without a doubt a modern classic, and a very enjoyable read! 

No comments:

Post a Comment